Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Just Like Daddy

So I've been a little busy with life lately. Now I'm finally taking the time to write about it.

As many of you reading this know, I have a 2 1/2 year old son, Joseph. We are about to start potty training and I've found that any change or transition is much easier if we talk about it for a few days first. In one of our discussions about using the potty I informed Joseph that when he got ready, he could not only pee-pee in the potty but poo-poo too. To which he replied, "No. I not poo-poo in the potty. Just in the grass... like Daddy."
You cannot possibly imagine the thoughts that were racing through my mind after he said that. Things like "I'm gonna kill my husband! Surely he has not actually pooped in the grass in front of the baby. Maybe Joseph is just confused because he saw Brian cleaning up Charlie's [our dog] poop. AHHH!" I tried to keep it together and thanked God that we were in the car and that Joseph couldn't see all the expressions on my face. I calmly explained to him that people don't poo-poo outside, just animals, like dogs and cats and birds.
But Joseph wasn't having it. "NO Mommy! I gonna poo-poo IN THE GRAAAASSSSSS!" Even after a few more minutes of questions and discussion, he maintained that my husband had pooped in the grass. I couldn't take it anymore, so I finally asked, "Joseph, did you see Daddy poo-poo in the grass?" Very matter-of-factly, he said, "Yes. I did. He took out his penis and pooped in the grass."
AHAHAHAHA! What a relief! My husband has not completely lost his mind! By this point I was laughing so hard, I could hardly drive through the parking lot at Sam's.
I couldn't let him go around confusing pee and poop so we had to have a little discussion about how the plumbing of the human body works. I tried to explain to Joseph where pee and poo come from, but again, he wasn't having it. I was laughing too hard to continue the discussion. The mental image derived from hearing my two year describe the process of seeing his dad "poop" in the back yard was too good. I had to call my husband. I told him about our recent conversation and asked if perhaps he could explain to Joseph where pee and poop come from. I thought perhaps that if Joseph heard this from someone else, it would make a difference. I put him on speaker phone and he tried his best to convince Joseph that 1. we only pee and poo-poo in the potty and 2. that pee-pee and poo-poo come from two different places. After a minute or two of that conversation with frequent interjections and arguments from Joseph, we both realized that we should save this conversation for later, when we could all focus and perhaps get through it without laughing so much. Before we hung up the phone my husband says to me, "I'll talk to Joseph about this later, but I want you to know that I never pooped in the grass in front of Joseph. I don't think I've even peed in the grass in front of Joseph." You mean you pee in our grass when no one is looking?! Thanks honey. You're one in a million.

1 comment:

  1. Carrie, I laughed out loud at this one, your blogs are great. We also are trying the potty training, so if you have any tips they would be well appreciated. Jon just applied for a job in Jackson, so if he gets it we will be moving that way. keep up the blogs, they are great. I just started one to, its kinda fun and a good way to clear the mind.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!