Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Something Old, Something New

What a weekend!  The original title to this post was "Red, White, and Worn Out" but after reflecting on the most memorable portions of the long weekend, I realized that old and new was a much more befitting title.
I try to approach life with an attitude of gratitude.  Right now, I am thankful for my dear friend from high school because she has introduced my husband and I to some fabulous new friends.  We attended the new friends' daughter's first birthday party this weekend, and I must say, I don't know who had more fun-- the parents or the kids.  The party was so fun, it could have gone on for days if our kids hadn't worn us out! 

I find that the older I get, the more difficult it is to make new friends.  We become set in our ways and routines and can barely make time for our spouses, much less a whole new set of people.  Sometimes friendships simply become one more thing to maintain, like the yard.  But this friendship is easy, fun, and much more relaxing than yard work on a July afternoon.  I find myself smiling like a girl on a first date when we are together and hiding my phone to keep from texting too soon once we part.  Their friendship could not have come at a better time.  I think God most definitely knew what he was doing when he sent these new friends into our life and His timing couldn't be better.  Summer weekends are made for cooking out and hanging out and I intend to do that for the remainder of the summer... with our new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!