Saturday, May 17, 2014

Detox Day 4: Weekend Warrior

I knew that the weekend would be hard.  We have a tendency to eat out on weekends... Waffle House breakfasts, a quick lunch, Mexican food for supper.  But today, Brian and I had every intention of staying on track.

For breakfast, I made each of us a chocolate shake (using Arbonne's delicious protein powder, of course!) with frozen strawberries and half a banana.  And of course, we took a ThermoBooster.

Then we went to our new house to clean up the construction sight.  FUN!  We spent the morning picking up wood scraps and pieces of sheetrock, and sweeping up sawdust.  I took a cooler with bottles of water and two cups of shake mix.  I had every intention for us to have shakes for lunch, but that didn't happen.  Lunch time rolled around and we weren't close to being finished cleaning up.  The kids were starving, so we loaded up and went to Wendy's (kids' choice).  I had a spicy chicken caesar salad with minimal dressing and strawberry lemonade (it is SO good y'all!).  Brian totally screwed up and had a chicken sandwich (fried, of course) with french fries and a coke.  What am I going to do with him?!  We each took a ThermoBooster with lunch and powered through the rest of the afternoon clean up.

Around 3:00 I had three fit chews and more water for an afternoon snack.  Water is the KEY!

For dinner, Brian wanted a giant grilled chicken salad for supper and didn't want to cook anything, so we loaded up the family again.   We each had a grilled chicken salad.  His was plain jane and mine had strawberries and pecans.  I broke the rules a little at supper and ate half of a roll and had vinaigrette dressing.  We each had two glasses of water with dinner.  The kids wanted ice cream after supper so we stopped for them.  Amazingly, we were both able to resist ice cream.

Now (9:00 p.m.) I'm relaxing with a cup of detox tea.

A few things I've learned over the last 4 days:

  • I am addicted to cheese and bread and it's harder to resist than I thought it would be.  I'm ok until I smell them.  Guess I should stop eating out.  That seems to be when the temptations hit me hardest.  
  • Hydration is so SO SOOOO important.  We worked hard today and sweated a lot, but neither of us ever felt "run down" and I truly believe it's because we made a conscious effort to stay hydrated.  

  • What we think of as hunger, is actually "toxic hunger."  I've heard this term before, but never experienced the difference between toxic hunger and true hunger until today.  Toxic hunger is defined as rumbling in your stomach, headache, irritable, feeling faint. Real Hunger is felt in your throat as if you put your two hands - one under your chin around your neck and the second one below that hand at the base of your throat and on your collar bones kind of.  If you'd like to read more about toxic hunger vs. real hunger, you can do so here.  I usually experience the headache, irritability, and faintness.  Today, I totally expected all of those things, but didn't experience any of them.  When I got hungry, I felt tightness in my throat...almost like I was choking back tears.  The sensation actually made me want to drink more water.  It took me a minute to realize what was going on.  When I looked at my watch and realized that it was lunch time, it hit me that I was experiencing Real Hunger.  I was honestly excited.  Nerd alert!
  • To avoid late night cravings and subsequent binging, I've begun going to bed earlier.  This can only lead to good things.
Even though I've cheated a little, I'm trying not beat myself up over those moments of weakness.  I've just got to keep trying.  Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...

This plan (Arbonne's 30 days to fit) can work for anyone.  I've seen it work for people of all different backgrounds, lifestyles, ages and ethnicities.  I know I can do this!  It's not about the numbers on the scale.  It's about the way I FEEL and I can honestly say that four days has made SUCH a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!